February 8, 2021
Re: Chief Campus Counsel Search
To: All faculty and staff
Feb. 8, 2021
Members of the Campus Community,
Chief Campus Counsel and Associate General Counsel Elisabeth R. Günther is retiring and will be leaving her role at UC Merced on April 30, 2021.
Elisabeth joined the UC Office of General Counsel in 2006 as a system-wide Environmental Health & Safety and land use counsel. She has served as UC Merced’s campus counsel since 2008. Over the past thirteen years, Elisabeth has worked tirelessly to ensure the University remained in compliance with state and federal regulations on complex issues from environmental law and land use to copyright and technology transfer and international and research collaborations, and played an essential role in the stewardship and success of the Merced 2020 project.
We offer her great thanks for her service to our community and best wishes in this new chapter of her life.
Reviews of candidate materials for the Chief Campus Counsel position will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Position applications and nominations are now being accepted as of Jan. 11, 2021. To view application information, please click here . The University of California has retained Caldwell Partners, a national executive search firm, to assist with this search. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and referrals should be emailed to UCMercedCCCSearch@caldwellpartners.com .
A search advisory committee has been formed with faculty and staff representation, and includes the following individuals who will be accepting nominations for the position as well:
- Co-chair: Dania Matos, Associate Chancellor and Chief Diversity Officer, UC Merced
- Co-chair: Lorena Peñaloza, Chief Campus Counsel, UC Santa Cruz
- Maria Shanle, Managing Counsel, UC Legal - Office of the General Counsel
- Teenie Matlock, Vice Provost for Academic Personnel, UC Merced
- Tanya Golash-Boza, Professor, School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts, UC Merced
- Teamrat Ghezzehei, Professor, School of Natural Sciences, UC Merced
- Yesenia Curiel, President of Staff Assembly, UC Merced
- Chou Her, Chief of Police, UC Merced
- Luanna Putney, Associate Chancellor and Chief of Staff to the Chancellor, UC Merced
Juan Sánchez Muñoz, Ph.D.
Remarks and Addresses