Dear Campus Community,
As I shared over the summer months, we are initiating a national search to hire the Associate Chancellor of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Over the last few months we have reached out to the campus community for your input regarding the skill set and other attributes considered most critical in this vital role. I want to extend my appreciation to the faculty, students, and staff for your active and candid participate in this process. I have shared your thoughts with Korn Ferry, a nationally respected higher education executive search firm we have retained with specific experience in recruiting chief diversity officers.
Among other responsibilities, the Associate Chancellor of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will work with campus stakeholders to create a campus vision and strategic plan focused on commitments to faculty, staff, and student diversity, the inclusion of diverse peoples and perspectives in all aspects of campus life, and fair and equitable treatment for all members of our campus community. The associate chancellor will guide the implementation of this plan and design appropriate structures of accountability. S/he will also provide leadership for campus diversity hiring and retention through the identification and implementation of best practices in this area. The associate chancellor will work closely with various campus groups that have a focus on campus climate and diversity issues, and s/he will be responsible for securing external funding for campus diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
A search advisory committee co-chaired by Zulema Valdez, professor of sociology (SSHA) and associate vice provost for the faculty, and Veronica Mendez, vice chancellor and chief financial officer, will help guide this critical recruitment. The search will include opportunities for input from faculty, instructors, staff and students.
The membership of the advisory committee is as follows:
- Armando Contreras, academic advisor and student success coordinator, School of Social Sciences, Humanities and the Arts
- Julius Fullah, undergraduate student
- Richard Gomez, continuing lecturer, School of Social Sciences, Humanities and the Arts
- Jonathan Grady, associate vice chancellor and dean of students
- Sheikh Karim, applications programmer, Office of Information Technology
- Sora Kim, assistant professor, School of Natural Sciences
- Valerie Leppert, professor, School of Engineering
- Maria Ramirez Loyola, graduate student
- Ala Qattawi, assistant professor, School of Engineering
The advisory committee and search firm will soon begin meeting and would welcome your suggestions of candidates to be considered for this position. Feel free to share recommendations and suggestions with Zulema (email@example.com) or Veronica (firstname.lastname@example.org) or any other member of the search advisory committee.