Re: Interim Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: All campus
Dear campus colleagues,
I am pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Marjorie Zatz as Interim Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (EVC/P), effective June 1. Dr. Zatz will remain in the Interim EVC/P role until a national search has been completed and a permanent EVC/P is named.
Dr. Zatz joined UC Merced in July 2014 as the first full-time Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Education and Professor of Sociology, serving in this capacity through June 2020 when she was named Interim Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development from July 1, 2020 through September 30, 2022. She has since served as Special Assistant to the Chancellor. She is the author or editor of 7 books and numerous journal articles and was elected a Fellow of the American Society of Criminology in 2019 and the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2022. As part of her prior 30+ year career at Arizona State University she also served as University Vice Provost for Academic Personnel and Interim Vice President and Executive Vice Provost for the West Campus.
Please join me in congratulating Dr. Zatz on this new appointment; I look forward to her leadership in the months to come. As we begin the search for a permanent EVC/P, I would like to announce the members of the search advisory committee and thank them in advance for their service:
- Delia Saenz, Co-Chair, Vice Chancellor and Chief Diversity Officer
- Gillian Wilson, Co-Chair, Vice Chancellor of Research, Innovation and Economic Development
- Patricia LiWang, Senate Chair
- Austyn Smith, Staff Assembly
- Charles Nies, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Christiane Spitzmueller, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Strategy
- April Graves, Executive Assistant, Office of the EVC/P
- Mark Matsumoto, Former Dean, School of Engineering
- Teamrat Ghezzehei, Professor, Life and Environmental Sciences
- Nigel Hatton, Associate Professor, Literatures, Languages and Cultures
- Ashlie Martini, Professor and Department Chair of Mechanical Engineering
- Asa Bradman, Professor and Department Chair of Public Health
- Michael Brown, UCOP Special Advisor to the President, former Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Kyle Magro, Associated Students of UC Merced
- Shauna Bennett, Non-Senate Faculty
- Edgar Perez Lopez, Graduate Student Association
A reception to celebrate and thank Dr. Gregg Camfield for his service as Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost has been planned for May 10 from 4 - 6 p.m. in the Lakireddy Grand Ballroom. All are welcome; please RSVP here.
Juan Sánchez Muñoz, Ph.D.