December 16, 2020
Re: Search for Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer
To: All campus
Dec. 16, 2020
Dear Campus Community,
As I shared in early fall , the university has begun a search for a new vice chancellor and chief financial officer, with the help of search firm Isaacson Miller.
A search advisory committee has been formed, with representation from the Academic Senate, Staff Assembly, ASUCM and GSA, who have been asked for nominees.
Among other responsibilities, the vice chancellor and chief financial officer will work with campus stakeholders to enhance the campus’ reputation by helping to address a set of key opportunities and challenges, as follows:
- Champion the implementation and management of effective, efficient, transparent and consistent, university-wide budget and accounting processes
- Build a cohesive unit by leading and managing the division through change
- Propel UC Merced forward on its path to R1 status through careful financial stewardship
- Embed UC Merced’s deep commitment to diversity and inclusion in all strategies and activities of the division
- Strengthen relationships and trust across the university by providing regular, clear and transparent communications about financial planning and operations
- Serve as an excellent citizen and representative of the campus
A search advisory committee chaired by Mike McLeod, vice chancellor of physical operations, planning and development will help guide this critical recruitment. The search will include opportunities for input from faculty, instructors, staff and students.
The membership of the advisory committee is as follows:
- Committee Chair: Mike McLeod, Vice Chancellor of Physical Operations, Planning and Development
- John Jackson, Director of Operations and Chief of Staff, Office of Research and Economic Development
- Josh Dubroff, Director of Procurement
- Mark Matsumoto, Dean of the School of Engineering
- Charles Nies, Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs
- Marjorie Zatz, Interim Vice Chancellor of the Office of Research and Economic Development
- Dania Matos, Associate Chancellor and Chief Diversity Officer
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes, faculty representative
- Citlalli Gamino, undergraduate student representative
- Cintia Quesada, graduate student representative
- Ian Cooke, staff representative
The advisory committee and search firm will soon begin meeting and would welcome your suggestions of candidates to be considered for this position. Feel free to share recommendations and suggestions with Mike McLeod or any other member of the search committee or click here to send your nomination directly to the recruiter.
Juan Sánchez Muñoz, Ph.D.
Remarks and Addresses